Over the last few years the Facebook Status RSS feed has changed directories numerous times. To say the least, this is annoying for developers. Constant directory changing breaks feeds on sites all over the web. The truth is, Facebook does not offer a permanent solution for their Facebook Status RSS feeds, but we are left to discover the hidden locations of such feeds. For the moment we do have a static location, and let’s hope this is the case for this short tutorial.
If you have made a Facebook account less than a year ago, you may be unable to obtain your Facebook ID’s. You will need these to get your Status RSS.
Find your Facebook Status RSS Feed
- Login to Facebook.
- Go to http://facebook.com/notifications/
- At the top of this page click on the RSS link.
- You will now see a notifications feed, however, you are looking for your own personal status feed…? Continue!
- In the current address, change the URL string, “notifications” to, “status”.
- This is your personal Facebook Status RSS Feed. After the “?” in the URL exists your Facebook ID’s. You might want to save this URL string somewhere so you can always refer back to these numbers.
All done. Copy Paste the URL to display the Feed in your WordPress build. I currently use the Social Gator plugin that provides a handy widget to drag and drop into your widget areas. I have heard success from TentBlogger Social Widgetplugin as well.
Find your Friend’s Facebook Status RSS Feed
Thanks to the commenter Sean, I have a solution to obtaining friend’s Facebook Status RSS feed. (NO LONGER WORKS)
- Log into Facebook.com
- Chang the URL Address in the address bar to, http://www.facebook.com/posted.php
- Click on the RSS link on the left-sided navigation bar on this page
- Copy this new URL
Find your Friends Status Feed
The following is currently working for me (as of 21 July 2011 | NO LONGER WORKS) for an RSS feed of all of my friends’ status updates (not their posted links, but their actual status updates):
- Go to http://www.facebook.com/posted.php
- Click on the RSS feed link called “My Friends’ Links” on the left-hand side, and copy the URL this gives you. It should look like this (*DO NOT COPY AND PAST THIS URL*):http://www.facebook.com/feeds/share_friends_posts.php?id=MYID&key=MYKEY&format=rss20**(Obviously, it will have your own ID and key in there from going to …/posted.php)
- Replace “share_friends_posts” with “friends_status”and leave everything else unchanged:http://www.facebook.com/feeds/friends_status.php?id=MYID&key=MYKEY&format=rss20
And that’s it! That’s the RSS address for your friends’ status updates. Can’t believe this works – I’ve been searching for this for ages – but it does! UPDATE : Remember, certain browsers like Chrome do not necessarily read RSS feeds correctly. This does work in FireFox in the non XML format… so you can actually read it with links and such.
Using a Third Party App to Find Your Facebook Status RSS Feed
Thanks to commenter Bubbles Bags, you can also try out an RSS feed app called FBRSS. Easy! Facebook better keep this URL directory for a long time. I think we are all getting tried of the Facebook Status RSS feed directory changes. Enjoy and please feel free to share any issues you are having in the comment section below!